Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bear in the Blueberry Bush



Bad. Really doesn't look good. Yep it's down right ugly but it does what I need it to do. It tells me where the sky, background mountains and foreground areas will be. What it is, is the underpainting. By painting this way I've learned to make an art composition complete. It helps me not to hit any bumps in the road and get stuck.

I like to let my paintings dry a few days which gives me time to think about maybe adjusting the focal point. Viewing the painting as is I like the brightness just above the bears head in the sky area. Lighter hues in the background mountains and darker hues in foreground areas helps to bring a sense of distance into the painting. The bears head and blueberries appear to standout in the composition. I think it's now ready for some detailed brushing for a second round of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment